As temperatures drop, firefighters say don’t plug space heaters into power strips

SEATTLE -- A warning from firefighters as temperatures begin to drop: make sure you don't plug a space heater into a power strip.

Fire officials from across the country have been posting this warning on social media.

Power strips aren't designed to handle the energy load of a space heater.

It could overheat and cause a fire.

According to the National Fire Protection Association, space heaters caused nearly half of all home heating fires between 2011 and 2015.

They're also the third-leading cause of home fire deaths.

Firefighters say even if your heater has safety features built in, they're not necessarily fail-proof.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.