Shorewood High School dismisses students early after online threats to school

SHORELINE, Wash. — Students at Shorewood High School were sent home Thursday morning while school officials investigate online threats to the school.

Shoreline Public Schools announced the closure on Twitter.

The school had been on a modified lockdown all morning, but the lockdown was lifted at 10:45 a.m. and students were dismissed from school at that time.

Sgt. Ryan Abbott with the King County Sheriff’s Office said a 14-year-old boy who attends the school posted a threatening video on Snapchat. The school was placed on modified lockdown to start the day. The student did not initially show up to school. Abbott said students alerted the school resource officer later in the morning that the student had been spotted on the 2nd floor of the building.

The school was placed in a full lockdown, but the student was never located. At this point, students received additional threats. Out of an abundance of caution, students were sent home for the day while the sheriff’s office continues its investigation.

Deputies are still trying to find the suspect and said his parents were cooperating with the investigation.

Students who ride a bus or drive to school are able to leave campus without a parent, guardian or emergency contact.

Students who walk to school must be checked out at the front door by a parent or guardian.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.