Weekend closures, lane restrictions impact SR 99, I-5 and I-90

Man who went on Puyallup shooting rampage sentenced to 51 years

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Nathen Terault

TACOMA, Wash. — A 35-year-old man who went on a shooting rampage in Puyallup last year has been sentenced to 51 years in prison.

Pierce County Prosecutor Lindquist says Nathen Terault pleaded guilty to first-degree murder for killing Richard Johnson. Terault also pleaded guilty to robbery and five counts of second-degree assault. He was sentenced Thursday.

Terault fatally shot Johnson on Aug. 11, 2015 at his home and then fled. As he ran, he fired shots at a woman and her two children, who were standing nearby. He also shot at neighbors who yelled at him, and entered their home where he pointed a gun at a woman’s face and demanded her car keys.

He shot at officers before they were able to stop him.

Lindquist says the crimes jolted the community and the sentence holds Terault accountable.