GRAHAM, Wash. -- Fireworks spark flames at a Pierce County home that has now left a family homeless. Investigators say it all started when a teen unintentionally shot fireworks into their neighbor’s home along Eustis Hunt Road in Graham Saturday night, first starting on the side and the spreading into the attic.
“It rapidly spread, and when we got here, we had a pretty involved attic fire at the time,” said Graham Fire & Rescue Assistant Fire Chief Steve Richards.
Kathy Heller lived in the Graham home for 15 years. She walked us through it and showed us damage done to her kitchen and living room. She even got emotional as she explained she has nearly lost everything she owned.
“The pictures that I had of my husband who passed away-- all gone,” she said.
When Heller returned from dinner she saw firefighters blocking her street, but didn’t think they were at her home.
“At first I thought it was a neighbor’s house until I realized it was mine,” said Heller. “It was very scary and we had two dogs in the house but luckily our neighbors were able to kick the door in and get our dogs out.”
Graham firefighters say this could’ve easily been avoided, as with most fires and injuries related to fireworks.
“Don’t shoot fireworks near cars or homes and try to shoot fireworks in open fields, or best yet enjoy one of our shows or just watch it on T.V,” said Richards.
Words of advice Heller is sharing too, so no one has to experience what she’s now living through.
“You don’t realize it until it happens to you how really dangerous it is,” said Heller.
Graham Fire and Rescue is also reminding people to have water handy when lighting fireworks and soaking them into a bucket of after they’re lit.