Coast Guard calls off search for missing Navy sailor

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Courtesy Michelle via Breaking Skagit

WHIDBEY ISLAND – The Coast Guard has suspended the search for a U.S. Navy sailor, after combing the waters of Crescent Harbor for more than eight hours Saturday.

The 33-year old sailor was reported missing Saturday afternoon when his boat broke apart off Whidbey Island’s east side.

He had been stationed at Whidbey Naval Air Station, and was in a boat with a woman off Crescent Harbor, the Coast Guard reported.

The woman managed to swim ashore and reported the sinking, which happened around 1:40 p.m.

The Coast Guard responded with a helicopter from Air Station Port Angeles, a 45-foot response boat from Station Seattle, and the USCG Cutter Sea Lion from Bellingham, the Coast Guard reported.

Sailors from the missing man’s unit also combed the beaches of Whidbey Island, alongside local responders.

The Coast Guard said the search will remain suspended, unless they receive new information on his whereabouts.

“The decision to suspend a search is the most difficult decision to make as a responder,”said Capt. Sean Cross, chief of incident management, Coast Guard 13th District. “Our condolences go out the family, friends and shipmates of this young sailor.”

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.