Apple Cup to air Saturday on Q13 FOX
Track incoming storms & get severe weather alerts — download the free Q13 News app

Woman badly burned after passing gas during surgery, igniting laser

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

TOKYO, Japan — A woman who was undergoing an operation was seriously burned when she passed gas.

According to The Straits Times, the fire occurred at Tokyo Medical University Hospital on April 15.

The patient, who is in her 30’s, was undergoing an operation on her cervix. During the surgery, she passed gas, and it ignited the irradiation of the laser that was being used.

The fire burned most of her body, including her waist and legs, the Strait Times reports.

A committee of experts not affiliated with the hospital reviewed the case and released their report on October 28. According to the experts, there were no flammable materials in the operation room during the surgery, and the equipment did not malfunction.

The Straits Times obtained the report which said:

“When the patient’s intestinal gas leaked into the space of the operation (room), it ignited with the irradiation of the laser, and the burning spread, eventually reaching the surgical drape and causing the fire.”