Doug Baldwin says he’s received ‘a few’ death threats after speaking out about police shootings

SEATTLE -- Seahawks WR Doug Baldwin said in an interview that aired Tuesday that he had received "a few" death threats since he began speaking out about social and racial injustice after recent police shootings.

The son of a policeman, Baldwin talked to "60 Minutes Sports" correspondent Jon Wertheim about NFL player protests and his meeting with state and Seattle officials about trying to find a way to change the situation. The interview aired on Showtime. The full interview is embedded below.

Baldwin said he reached out to 49ers' Colin Kaepernick when the quarterback sat on the bench when the national anthem played before a game to protest the recent police shootings of black men.

"I knew he was getting a lot of negativity coming his way," Baldwin said, referring to Kaepernick.

Wertheim said Kaepernick had received death threats and asked Baldwin if he had, too.

"I did," Baldwin replied. "I had a few. A couple of people told me to watch my back .... There's issues going on in our society that people feel compelled to talk about, and I'm not going to be quieted about it. And if something was to happen to me, I think that would just further prove the point that there are issues in our culture and society that need to be changed."

"So you've thought about it?" Wertheim asked.

"I have thought about it -- it's been concerning."

Instead of sitting or kneeling during the national anthem, Baldwin led the Seahawks to make a point by standing together arm-in-arm during the anthem to show unity.

How does he hope to achieve a change?

"I think that right now I'm really focused on the training for law enforcement because that's where I think we can have the most impact, directly, and as soon as possible."

Baldwin met with Seattle Police Department officials last week to talk about his concerns and what changes could be made.