Download the Q13 News weather app here

Toddler dies in fire after police say mother left him home alone with hotplate to warm room

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

STEAMBOAT ISLAND, Wash. — Deputies arrested the mother of an 18-month-old boy who died early Monday in a devastating house fire near Olympia, after allegedly discovering the mom left the boy alone and used a hot plate to heat his room.

The Thurston County Sheriff’s Office arrested 22-year-old Ashley Conroy and booked her into jail on investigation of manslaughter.

Firefighters were called to the house at 7030 Steamboat Island Road around 5 a.m. to reports that a single room inside was on fire. When they arrived, the home was filled with flames and smoke.

They quickly learned the fire started in a young child’s room, but were unable to get to the room because of the blaze, said Douglas Jamieson of Thurston County Fire District 13.

Firefighters extinguished the flames and found the 18-month-old boy dead.

The child’s grandparents identified the toddler as William Bradsnyder.

“[He was] one of the happiest kids I have ever known,” said grandfather Gary Hanson.  “God rest his soul.”

Officials believe the mother was using a hot plate to heat the boy’s room, which may have sparked the blaze. Investigators said Conroy was at another home on the property when the fire started. She suffered minor burns trying to run into the house to reach the boy, officials said.

“He was just a happy little boy, he didn’t deserve this at all,” said Hanson.

The sheriff's office said statements from witnesses who live on the same property reported that there have been two previous fires in the same residence, which were not reported due to the fires being put out before they got too big.

The structure appears to be a total loss, officials said, but two other buildings on the property were not damaged.

 

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

12 comments

  • Lisa

    William was the most amazing little boy and loved his parents so much I know that God has him and is protecting and loving him because that’s what he deserved may God give his angels charge to forever care for this baby you will be deeply missed Willliam. Love your aunt and unccle

  • Lisa

    William was the most amazing little boy and loved his parents so much I know that God has him and is protecting and loving him because that’s what he deserved may God give his angels charge to forever care for this baby you will be deeply missed Willliam. Love your aunt and unccle

  • Marg

    The poor woman lost her baby. It was a mistake, not a crime. If she was using a hot plate, she either didn’t have heat in the house for lack of money or she simply didn’t understand the risk. I’m sorry for her loss. I don’t think she should be prosecuted. Save criminal trials for people who deliberately do harm.

    • audrey miller

      are you kidding me? who leaves a baby alone in the house but a tweeker distracted?ya she lost her baby but because of her ignorsnt and selfish behavior the baby lost his life…good lord ..u need to wake up and smell the meth in her system…happened the same way in shelton…baby died in house fire caused by a damaged heater while her parents were outside tweeking..she deserves to lose her baby but the baby didnt deserve to lose his life…get a clue hun…hope u dont have kids…lol

  • audrey miller

    another tweeker lets another baby die…who else leaves a baby alone in a house with no heat cept for a hot plate? poor lil guy…mother should be burned alive too

  • I hate tweekers!

    This woman was a know tweeker! The house was a known tweek house! It doesnt surprise me the house burnt down! But I am still saddened by the fact an innocent child lost his life! Baby William you will be missed!

  • Mathew Sitko

    Wow, this is a prime example of a traumatic situation where the actions were done out of good intent, but not clearly thought through. I hope she understands that life is a process of live, learn, try, fail, try, learn, succeed and on and on. It just keeps going. Learn from your mistakes, understand where your plan of action went wrong, and correct the problem so it doesn’t happen again. I will be praying for them all!

  • Miranda

    Prayers go a long way. This little boy’s family is heartbroken and going through hard times still following this. They have a lot of work to do to clean up the remains of the fire and are on a limited fixed income. If there is anything you can do to help, or any kind thoughts or prayers you would like to send the family,
    http://www.gofundme.com/ngs800
    Please don’t go here to put hateful comments. This family could really use the support. Any donations to help clean up the remains of the building are appreciated.