Jackie Madill with the Washington Beef Commission stopped by this morning with some great grilling recipes you can make for the whole family.
Here are the recipes she showcased. For more great ideas, head to wabeef.org
MEDITERRANEAN BEEF MEATBALL KABOB
1 pound Ground Beef (93% lean or leaner)1/4 cup dry breadcrumbs2 egg whites or 1 whole egg2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley2 tablespoons water2 cloves garlic1 teaspoon ground cumin1/2 teaspoon salt1/4 teaspoon pepper4 flatbreads (such as naan, lavash or pita bread)Toppings (optional):Chopped tomatoes, chopped cucumber, chopped red onion, chopped fresh parsley, Tzatziki sauce
- Heat oven to 400°F. Combine Ground Beef, parsley, garlic, cumin, salt and pepper in large bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Shape into sixteen 1-1/4-inch meatballs.
- Thread meatballs onto four 10-inch skewers. Place on rack in broiler pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Bake in 400°F oven 18 to 20 minutes.
- Remove meatballs from skewers. Serve in flatbreads. Garnish with Toppings, as desired.
Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed Ground Beef. Ground Beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F. Color is not a reliable indicator of Ground Beef doneness.
Cook’s Tip: For easy cleanup, line bottom of broiler pan (not rack) with aluminum foil before baking meatballs.
GARDEN GRILL TRI-TIP
1 beef Tri-Tip Roast (about 1-1/2 to 2 pounds)1 small eggplant, cut crosswise into 1/2 inch thick slices2 small red and/or yellow bell peppers, cut lengthwise into quarters2 medium yellow squash and/or zucchini, cut lengthwise in half1 cup grape tomatoes, cut in half1/4 cup lightly packed chopped fresh basilSalt and ground black pepperMarinade:1/3 cup olive oil1/3 cup dry white wine2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice1 tablespoon minced garlic
- Combine marinade ingredients in small bowl. Place beef roast and 1/3 cup marinade in food-safe plastic bag; turn roast to coat. Close bag securely and marinate in refrigerator 15 minutes to 2 hours, turning occasionally. Cover and reserve remaining marinade in refrigerator.
- Remove 1/4 cup of reserved marinade for ratatouille; set aside. Toss vegetables (except tomatoes) with remaining marinade.
- Remove roast from marinade; discard marinade. Place roast in center of grid over medium, ash-covered coals or over medium heat on preheated gas grill; arrange vegetables (except tomatoes) around roast. Grill roast, covered, 25 to 35 minutes for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, turning occasionally. Grill eggplant and bell peppers 7 to 11 minutes; zucchini and yellow squash 8 to 12 minutes (on gas grill, eggplant 6 to 8 minutes; bell peppers, zucchini and yellow squash 7 to 11 minutes) or until tender, turning occasionally.
- Remove roast when instant-read thermometer registers 135°F for medium rare; 150°F for medium. Transfer roast to carving board; tent loosely with aluminum foil. Let stand 10 minutes. (Temperature will continue to rise about 10°F to reach 145°F for medium rare; 160°F for medium.)
- Meanwhile, cut grilled vegetables into 1-inch pieces. Combine vegetables, tomatoes, basil and reserved 1/4 cup marinade in large bowl; toss to coat. Carve roast diagonally across the grain into thin slices. Season roast and ratatouille with salt and black pepper, as desired. Serve roast with ratatouille.
GRILLED ONION CHEESEBURGERS
1 pound Ground Beef1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme1-1/2 teaspoons minced garlic1 large white or yellow onion, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices1 tablespoon vegetable or olive oilSalt and pepper4 white or whole wheat hamburger buns or Kaiser rolls, split3 ounces crumbled or shredded cheeae (such as smoked mozzarella, goat cheese, feta, blue cheese)
- Combine Ground Beef, thyme and garlic in medium bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Lightly shape into four 1/2-inch thick patties. Brush both sides of onion slices with oil.
- Place patties in center of grid over medium, ash-covered coals; arrange onion slices around patties. Grill, covered, 8 to 10 (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, 7 to 9 minutes) until instant-read thermometer inserted horizontally into center registers 160°F, turning occasionally. Grill onions 15 to 20 minutes or until tender, turning occasionally and brushing with oil. (Grilling times for onions remain the same on gas grill.) Season burgers with salt and pepper, as desired.
- Place 1 burger on bottom of each bun; top evenly with cheese and grilled onions. Close sandwiches.
Any type of sliced cheese may also be used to top burgers, including Cheddar, Swiss, provolone and Gouda. Cook’s Tip: Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed Ground Beef. Color is not a reliable indicatior of Ground Beef doneness. Cook’s Tip: If using 95% lean ground beef, add 1/4 cup soft bread crumbs and 1 egg white to ingredients in step 1.