Teen who got tuna for Christmas will get new headphones

BOTHELL — A Q13 Fox News viewer is trying to help a Bothell family have the Merry Christmas they were hoping for. She heard about the family getting cans of tuna fish in what they thought was a box of headphones. Since she works for the headphones company, she decided to make things right.

14-year old Carmen Lopez had asked her parents for a pair of ‘Beats by Dre’ headphones. She was disappointed when the box she opened didn’t have headphones inside. Her dad, who had ordered them online from Wal-Mart on Black Friday, was angry.

1463904_459402874163776_1793761897_n

“This is what I picked up,” Steve Lopez said as he showed us the box he had purchased. “It was wrapped in plastic. So I thought they were legit.”

This morning, Lopez went back to Wal-Mart, but didn’t get the answer he was hoping for.

“Wal-Mart had said they would only give us a refund, at least the store did,” said Carmen. “That didn’t sound right, because I just want my headphones at this point. I was really looking forward to them.”

The other problem, the headphones aren’t on sale anymore. So a refund for the sale price isn’t enough for a new pair.

The family has contacted Wal-Mart’s corporate office, and they’re still hoping for a resolution.

But Carmen won’t have to miss a beat in the meantime, because an executive with the headphones company is in town visiting her family right now.

“Last night my father and I were watching the news,” said Lindsay Merkle, the global account manager of sales for Beats by Dre. “I saw the unfortunate story of the tuna, and thought let’s solve this problem today.”

She has some of the company’s newest headphones with her, and she wants to donate a pair to Carmen.

“I can only imagine what was going through her head. So hopefully this will help her be a little bit happier and get something she was actually looking forward to on Christmas.”

Lindsay’s trying to figure out how to get the new headphones to the Lopez family. She says if she can’t take care of it while she’s here for the holidays, she’ll ask her mom to help with the delivery.

17 Comments to “Teen who got tuna for Christmas will get new headphones”

Laurie said:
    December 26, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Lindsay Merkle you are truly an angel sent from heaven God Bless you

JoeHawk said:
    December 26, 2013 at 10:46 PM

Should've got Bose. They sound better and they don't bash on Hawks fans.

james said:
      December 27, 2013 at 6:33 AM

Headphones are inanimate objects. How can they bash on anyone?

ted said:
    December 27, 2013 at 10:41 AM

The company makes commercials depicting angry ‘fans’(actors) at the companies superstars, Lebron, Brees, or Kevin Garnett, where thet spit, yell and throw stuff at the incoming teams bus. Seattle was one of the many angry crowds. I guess they didn’t sign Russel Wilson to a contract, yet. But seriously, headphones, really? You kids do know your parents were wearing these in the 80′s…..

guest said:
    December 27, 2013 at 11:02 AM

There is no way 3 cans of tuna were just sitting in a brand new plastic sealed headphones box. this story screams scam.

Jayne said:
    April 18, 2014 at 3:41 PM

My spouse and I absolutely love your blog and fid most of your

post’s to be exactly what I’m looking for. Does

one ofter guest writers to write content for youu personally?

I wouldn’t mind creating a post or elaborating on most off tthe subjects

you write related to here. Again, awesome weblog!