Controversial Christmas signs pop up in Redmond

REDMOND — At this time of year, many try to express their cheer by using generic phrases such “Season’s Greetings” or “Happy Holidays” — but in Redmond someone is posting street signs encouraging people to use “Merry Christmas.”

Not everyone is happy about it.  The green signs with white print are posted in front of City Hall, the library, and near several schools.  They read “It’s OK to say Merry Christmas” with the Bible verse from Romans 1:16.  It reads, “For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes: first to the Jew, then to the Gentile.”

christmassignsSome are offended by the scripture and the fact that they’re placed on city property.  Mayor John Marchione says they are not city signs and reports this is the second year they have mysteriously popped up around town. But he also said he isn’t going to take them down.

“The signs are placed in the city right-of-way,” he said. “It’s available for free speech and this is a form of free speech like political signs and other signs.”

The city says a faith-based message or any other message is permitted to be displayed along city right-of-ways as long as they’re not discriminatory.  Most people Q13 FOX News talked to have no problem with them.

“There is a line between sharing your feelings and joy and belief and trying to convert people who aren’t interested, but I don’t feel this is pressuring anyone to be or do anything,” said Jen Baldwin.

So far, no religious group or church has taken ownership of the signs.

18 Comments to “Controversial Christmas signs pop up in Redmond”

Jan said:
    December 2, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Praise God!

CC Ryder said:
    December 2, 2013 at 11:09 PM

It's really very simple, I will say 'Merry Christmas' to anyone and everyone, and if they don't care for that, then they have a problem, and they will have made my day. I have always said and proclaim Merry Christmas, to everyone, and I really don't care if they don't like it, because they cannot stop me from saying it. I was brought up that way, and the only thing I can say is…………..IF, you don't want me to say that, then YOU will have a very real problem….for YOU, can believe in what you wish, but I believe in Christmas and our Heavenly Father, and I am NOT, politically correct, therefore, I WILL say, what I choose, so………….there you have it.

esco said:
    December 2, 2013 at 11:15 PM

ℳerry ℂhr(Censored)mas and have a ℌappy ℕe(Censored)ear!! ☹
    Aww man… = (

Average Joe said:
    December 2, 2013 at 11:24 PM

All I want for Christmas is my free Speech!

joe said:
    December 3, 2013 at 6:18 AM

To the progressives who are burning America down with failed liberalsism failed governement ran take over of every freedom known to man. They are always pissed off about everything, especially words, words like Merry Chirstmas, God Bless America, Freedom, Choice unless it's abortion, illegal alien invasions and the Knockout game as the fruits of their wisdom. It's not hard to see that this place is failing and will not make it.

mailman4 said:
      December 5, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Hey Joe…. Failed "libersism" spelling in school, right ???

Want a re-do on "Chirstmas" or are you truly a Faux Snoozer ?

mailman4 said:
    December 4, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Praise freedom to choose ~~~

Sorry to disappoint, but you don't have to be religious to say Merry Christmas any more than you have to be the real Jesus to have the name….

When you forget the right to choose religion or forgo religion, you do more damage, than good….

As for mixing politics, lots of mothers are still wondering why their kids died in Bush's war & exactly what "mission" was accomplished….

Runner5 said:
    December 5, 2013 at 3:37 PM

I have no idea why these signs are controversial. We all believe in free speech, right? Christmas has been an official Holiday in this country for over 100 years. Why not say "Merry Christmas?"

Tanya Lynch said:
    December 5, 2013 at 8:10 PM

I believe in Him and I am not ashamed of it. He will come again. People better wake up!!!

mailman4 said:
      December 5, 2013 at 9:11 PM

I believe in Martians, NANU NA NU !!!