In the black market pot industry now? The state may want your business

SEATTLE — By Monday’s deadline, key supporters of Initiative 502 weighed in what the exact rules should be for the legal marijuana industry.

potSeattle City Attorney Pete Holmes says the state needs to relax restrictions to make it fair for everyone to smoke pot. He even wants the state to recruit marijuana growers, distributors and sellers in the black market right now.

By March 2014, the first batch of state regulated pot stores will be open.

“If we allow these people to buy marijuana but don’t give them a place to smoke, then how can we fault them if they break the non-public display and consumption rule,” said Holmes.

Holmes sent a letter to the state Liquor Control Board recommending specific changes to the board’s draft rules. One of the suggestions is “private-use clubs.”

“It’s not just tourism we are worried about; we are worried about our own residents who don’t have the privilege to smoke in the privacy of their own home if they are in public housing or apartments with a smoking ban,” said Holmes.

Speaking of bans, there is a 1,000-foot rule in place restricting retailers from setting up next to where kids gather like schools and parks. But that rule also includes public transit centers. Holmes says the state needs to specifically define what is considered a public transit center and if the definition is too broad — the concern is that retailers will not be able to set up shop at downtown locations.

“We have to make sure this is simply not a rich man’s bill that it is addressing the reality of tourism and social justice consideration,” said Holmes.

When it comes to overcoming the black market, the answer is surprising. Holmes says the state should recruit and work together with people who are now operating underground.

“We want to evaluate them in a case-by-case basis to see if they are the very kind of people we want to bring into the light of full regulation,” said Holmes.

Misdemeanor marijuana convictions will not affect anyone’s chances of doing business with the state. Even felony convictions will be determined on a case-by-case basis. As Washington ventures into uncharted territory, many, even those who support I-502, have a warning going forward.

“Mostly concerned about glamorizing marijuana, to convey the message that it’s not harmless and nobody needs to consider what the risks are and what kind of boundaries we need to use,” said retired UW professor Roger Roffman.

Roffman, working together with the ACLU, also sent suggestions to the board on Monday emphasizing public health and consumer education.

8 Comments to “In the black market pot industry now? The state may want your business”

NAVYTOWN said:
    June 11, 2013 at 12:24 AM

Folks, just keep buying weed from 'underground' growers and sellers. Why should the state get a cut just for 'allowing' citizens to smoke marijuana? Regulation by the state ALWAYS ends badly for the consumer.
    A perfect example is the do-nothings at the State Insurance Board…..they are the biggest idiots imaginable! Same with the Liquor Control Board. Useless!!

joe said:
    June 11, 2013 at 8:18 AM

At least they’re coming around and relinquishing some of their iron fisted control over the liberty of human beings whom just want to be left alone and not controlled by big Government meat grinders that rule by force of punitive damages. Money and power over peope aret the only things that get the attention of Democrats.

Steve Sarich said:
    June 11, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Mr. Holmes is apparently not paying any attention or he'd know that the Liquor Control Board is doing everything they can to shut down "private clubs" that allow the use of marijuana. They have already threatened the licenses of "Stonegate" in Tacoma and "Frankies" in Olympia. My guess is that they aren't going to any more pot friendly towards the tourist trade.

And since when did the sponsors of I-502, like Holcomb and Holmes, get to dictate policies to the LCB. I think they're both taking themselves a bit too seriously.

I'm facinated by Holmes' compassion for the poor pot tourists, while he obviously has NONE for the medical cannabis patients in Washington.

Pete….Just keep repeating "I-502 won't harm patients". Perhaps even you will come to believe your own B.S. The patients of Washington State can certainly tell poop when they smell it.

blackmetalmikey said:
    June 11, 2013 at 3:04 PM

weed is better if weed I stay if we drink then I leave god drinks I neaver seen him puff weed I better for me
    I deal with sadness and blindess and adhd gomcoma and autism that why weed better drinking started
    crime myth headtoo/ pot people are better win these we hate rules there no harmless to me weed safer
    sexy is a good thing touch and best smell !/ I am real blackmetal mikey let us enijoy it

blackmetal mikey said:
      June 11, 2013 at 3:07 PM

weed way to lived I lived on I started when I was 8 year old the best I stop growing

Cristine said:
    January 18, 2014 at 7:10 AM

I think this is an incredible site and I’ll be returning to learn more.

devils lettuce said:
    April 4, 2014 at 2:58 AM

Hello there! I could have sworn I’ve been to this site
    before but after reading through some of the post I realized it’s
    new to me. Anyways, I’m definitely happy I found it and I’ll be bookmarking and checking
    back often!