Principal: Burien schoolgirl was hit by .22 caliber short bullet

BURIEN — A 14-year-old girl who was shot Monday while walking home from St. Francis of Assisi School in Burien was hit by a .22 caliber short bullet, the school principal said Wednesday in a letter to parents.

The news was reported by the B-Town Blog.

The girl was released from Harborview Medical Center Wednesday, according to principal Rosemary Leifer.

“This letter is another update on Monday’s shooting,” Leifer’s letter to parents said. “It has been confirmed that she was hit by a 22 short bullet. Our eighth-grader ended up coming home around noon today instead of last night. She and her family have expressed gratitude for your prayers and concern. When I talked to the girl today, she said she was feeling good but sore. Right now, she plans on returning to school on Monday. We all look forward to seeing her.”

The King County Sheriff’s Office is still investigating the shooting, she said.

King County Sheriff’s spokeswoman Cindi West said deputies were called to the 16600 block of 21st Avenue SW in Burien about 3:45 p.m. Monday.  The victim was walking home with at least one other student when they heard a pop and she felt a pain in her stomach area.

She was initially taken to Highline Hospital and transferred to Harborview Medical Center.

driveby1The kids reported a red car in the area, but deputies have not been able to confirm that the shot came from the car, West said.

25 Comments to “Principal: Burien schoolgirl was hit by .22 caliber short bullet”

JoJo said:
    March 21, 2013 at 6:41 AM

Ban guns and this would not happen!

Marysvillian said:
      March 21, 2013 at 7:57 AM

Banning guns for HUMAN ACTIONS is a lame argument.

JoJo said:
    March 21, 2013 at 8:10 AM

I disagree…guns make it easier to hurt people and should not be allowed

Cameron said:
    March 21, 2013 at 8:33 AM

what about alcohol or professional sports JoJo? your argument has no validity.

JoJo said:
    March 21, 2013 at 9:21 AM

When you drink alcohol you hurt yourself and when you play sports you hurt yourself…not others

Ned said:
      March 21, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Are you stupid? When you drink alcohol, you can do some serious damage to other people!

JoJo said:
        March 21, 2013 at 2:49 PM

like what? If you do it responsibly it is perfectly fine, there is no way to use a gun responsibly

Cameron said:
          March 21, 2013 at 2:58 PM

UHH WHAAAATTTT????? hey stupid, i've been hunting since i was 9. never killed anyone. always responible. you're stupid.

Cameron said:
            March 21, 2013 at 3:01 PM

If there was no way to use a gun responsibly, everyone would already be long gone by now.

Cameron said:
    March 21, 2013 at 10:03 AM

You must not have a standard cable package.

Cameron said:
    March 21, 2013 at 10:04 AM

it must be cars that are responsible for killing as well. Ban Em!!

JoJo said:
    March 21, 2013 at 10:27 AM

What does cable have to do with anything? Drinking and driving is illegal because it hurts people so why shouldn't guns be illegal? Every day I watch the news there is constant stories about how people were shot, it is sad and can be prevented if people couldn't buy guns…

Ned said:
      March 21, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Sadly, this would not do a thing if we banned guns. But don't get me wrong, this is a sad topic. You can easily get guns illegally, so banning them would do nothing except ruin the sport of hunting and target shooting. I'm surprised you don't know this. The media I guess does not understand this and it influences the people that are confused on this topic to thinking guns should be banned. If the government did this, banning guns, it would be against our rights. Imagine if I took away your favorite thing in the world, it would be like that to some people in the world, so next time, think before saying and don't get influenced by the media. And just saying I'm only 16.

Cameron said:
    March 21, 2013 at 10:37 AM

guns are not the problem. violence is everywhere in the world no matter what the gun regulation is. if you ban guns, you have to ban countless other things that can cause harm. you dont understand what you're saying. go back to reading komo.

JoJo said:
    March 21, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Obviously I do know what I am talking about…you seem to be the confused one. Educate yourself!

Cameron said:
    March 21, 2013 at 10:56 AM

last comment. if you think that taking guns away will eliminate violence. you are insane.

JoJo said:
    March 21, 2013 at 11:02 AM

something needs to be done…do you have any better ideas? It is a first step to stopping all the shootings and it would work but pretentious people like you will complain so it will never happen…sad

Ned said:
      March 21, 2013 at 2:27 PM

And also on a side note.

I'm not complaining. I'm sticking up for my rights. The right to bear arms to be exact. Im not an avid hunter or anything, sometimes I target shoot. And do you really think banning guns would end the violence? Lets say they did and somehow stopped illegal selling of guns, people would find another way to cause this type of stuff. Do you know how many people are killed in car crashes every year in the U.S.? 115 every day…why don't we ban cars? Your question is as stupid as that.

JoJo said:
        March 21, 2013 at 2:55 PM

We don't have rights anymore in america. And the constitution was written a long time ago when people were not as crazy and reckless, some things should be changed about the constitution…I am just defending how I feel, I like to feel safe and guns terrify me and I personally don't see a reason to own one. I don't think my opinion is stupid, guns are weapons, cars are not. Guns serve no purpose, cars do serve a purpose. Your analogy is stupid. I do commend you for standing up for what you believe in and that is all that I am doing as well.

Cameron said:
    March 21, 2013 at 11:05 AM

it didnt work for the UK and it wouldnt work here. no i dont have a better idea. but this one is ridiculous and obviously nothing happened in DC to change any laws. the majority of people do not agree with you.

JoJo said:
    March 21, 2013 at 12:03 PM

All I am saying is that it is worth a shot, I know there are a lot of people who disagree with me but there are also a lot of people that agree with me…

guest said:
    March 21, 2013 at 12:43 PM

take guns from law abiding citizens to stop criminals?? what kind of sense does this make? you would have to be a complete moron to buy into this approach.

JoJo said:
    March 21, 2013 at 12:53 PM

People that kill people are not law abiding citizens…if they ban gun sales and destroy the current ones then it will be much safer…you are a complete moron to believe that it will not work

guest said:
    March 21, 2013 at 2:57 PM

you have to be a complete moron to think ALL the guns CAN be confiscated and destroyed. as long as they exist for military or police the criminals WILL get their hands on them. maybe bring them over the border from mexico, we can't stop anything else from coming in that way!

best survey sites said:
    April 11, 2014 at 6:53 AM

Article writing is also a excitement, if you be acquainted with then you can write otherwise it is complicated to
    write.