National & World News

Today considered ‘the most depressing day of the year’

Blue MondayLONDON – If it being a Monday wasn’t bad enough, Jan. 21 is considered by many to be the  “most depressing day of the year.”

It began in 2005, when a psychologist was working on a marketing campaign. Cliff Arnall created an elaborate mathematical formula to calculate the most miserable day of the year.

Taking into account drab winter weather, stacking holiday bills, and wrecked New Year’s resolutions, the third Monday of the new year was designated “most depressing,” by a group of psychologist.

Some recommend getting out of the Blue Monday funk by getting out and exercising, getting most of the natural light and skipping an afternoon caffeine break.

Or, there’s always retail therapy. Many chain stores are offering Blue Monday deals.

10 Comments to “Today considered ‘the most depressing day of the year’”

Dave said:
    January 21, 2013 at 7:16 AM

It's also Obama's second inauguration, so depression is probably natural

Michael leland said:
      January 21, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Dave, You suck with equating Obama's second inauguration day as being natural as the "most depressing day. You and the like are disgusting. The only reason you and the like say this is because of the skin color of the president. You and the like are white, prejudiced bigots! There is NO OTHER EXPLANATION!

Mary said:
        January 22, 2013 at 5:43 AM

What about the rising debt and tax increases and blatent disregard for the constitution, does that have anything to do with the color of his skin? No, it's his bad policies that are depressing!

Jack said:
          January 22, 2013 at 5:45 AM

I could write more reasons, but I'm sure you are so in awe of the color of his skin you wouldn't read it or understand.

MARY said:
    January 21, 2013 at 8:34 AM

IT'S THE MOST HAPPIEST DAY, I HAVE LIFE, I HAVE GOD IN LIFE, HE HAS GIVEN ME PEACE THIS MORNING. I DON'T HAVE NOTHING TO BE DEPRESSED ABOUT!! GOD IS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jesus said:
      January 21, 2013 at 4:08 PM

"I don't have nothing" means you do have something…. It's no surprise that as ever, the stupid take comfort in the unprovable. Lame.

maury said:
    January 21, 2013 at 9:53 AM

satan has given me a reesun to live!!!

Mike leland said:
      January 21, 2013 at 5:13 PM

You can go to HELL with Satan

philip said:
    January 21, 2013 at 12:04 PM

today is the most depressing day of the year for sure… Guess I;; just work on my website http://www.philiparudy.com/ to try to bring me out of the blues

m ELAND said:
      January 21, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Let's have a pity party for the poor depressed stupid obama hater!. Go work on your web site and GET OVER IT!