At least 3 bald eagles found shot; state offers reward

deadeagle

Courtesy WDFW Facebook

GRANITE FALLS, Wash. — Four dead eagles discovered floating in a lake Jan. 9 outside Granite Falls, Wash., appeared to be the victims of a poacher, the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) said.

The four eagles were retrieved by WDFW agents on Jan. 10. Initial observations show at least three of the birds were killed by a small-caliber rifle. All of the birds appeared to have been perched on trees before they fell into the lake, the agency said.

WDFW, the Humane Society and other groups offered a $3,750 cash reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person or people responsible for killing the eagles. Anyone with information related to the crime can call the WDFW tip line at (877) 933-9847.

30 Comments to “At least 3 bald eagles found shot; state offers reward”

Banana Clip said:
    January 16, 2013 at 8:01 PM

Wow, I mean WOW! What dumb redneck NRA ahole did this? Sounds like a typical dumbass with a GUN.

Nataliegai said:
    January 16, 2013 at 9:40 PM

ya he obviously had a gun.. but a nra dumbass?? really?
    it just takes one moron and not a redneck to do this.. my guess he is not redneck not part of the nra because people that belong to the nra have a responsibily to use their guns wisely.. stop being a dumbass

Monoxide said:
    January 16, 2013 at 11:59 PM

The hunter has become the hunted, hope the punk is caught and reamed for this.

spdychevy said:
      January 17, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Sorry, that's not a *hunter* that's just an out and out scuzzbag :(

Keepslowprofile said:
      January 20, 2013 at 6:18 PM

The law hardly allows a mere slap on the wrist.
      "Bald eagles are protected under state and federal laws. Killing an eagle is a Class A misdemeanor, and carries a maximum penalty of $1,000 and 90 days in jail."

charles said:
      January 21, 2013 at 10:36 AM

That perpetrator is not a hunter. That is a killer. A hunter generally speaking, lives by a widely accepted code that you use what you eat and don't kill for the sake of killing. Furthermore, a true hunter would abide by the rules, laws and regulations concerning the type of weapons to be used, the time of year as well as the species being hunted. Don't attribute this action to any ole redneck hunter. Furthermore, you have no idea whether or not this person is indeed a member of the NRA nor a hunter. For all you know, it could be some suburban teen who is angry at the world and found his father's .22 unlocked and out in the open.

Boyd Crowder said:
    January 17, 2013 at 6:34 AM

Ya sure, a dumb butt NRA Ted Nugent clone. Gun owners have a destructive gene and a desire to kill.

Elden said:
      January 18, 2013 at 9:59 AM

I am a gun owner. I do not hunt. All I am responsible for the death of are a few trees used to make the paper that my targets are made of. I also do not belong to the NRA. I don't believe in trophy hunting. I am not destructive in my hobby. One of my guns is 100 years old and has never killed anything that I am aware of. I get really irritated by irresponsible shooters and people that know nothing about firearms.

pissed american! said:
    January 17, 2013 at 9:02 AM

jeez, if it was me prosecuting this scum bag, i would push to bring him/her up on anti-american terrorist charges. and a 1000$ fine??? really??? im sure it takes WAYYY more than a grand to raise, release, and protect the bald eagles…

Mike Walker said:
      January 17, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Lol, typical sheep response. 1) laughed my ass off when i read this "i would push to bring him/her up on anti-american terrorist charges." Something tell me your dumbazz is serious as well. BWAHAHAHA.
      2) Bald Eagles are no longer endangered and ppl don't raise eagles you dolt.

PinkSkater said:
        January 18, 2013 at 8:35 AM

To be fair Mike, Pissed American does have a point. Though the American Bald Eagle has been taken off of the federal endangered species list, there are still numerous preservations committed to the reproduction and protection of these beautiful creatures. Here's one in Alaska for example. http://www.baldeagles.org/preserve

Larry Luger said:
    January 17, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Federal crime! A reward of nearly $4,000 is some good snitching cash. All you redneck welfare food stamp weasels give-up your brother to the lawman and get a new TV.

jon anthony said:
    January 17, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Oh…looks like another inbred yahoo hayseed yokel hunter with a gun?

Hunter Joe said:
    January 17, 2013 at 11:01 AM

No way this is an NRA person. Small caliber rifle near the lake and not taking the bodies which have value to a poacher means some teenage kid with a .22 rifle he got for Christmas.

PinkSkater said:
      January 18, 2013 at 8:36 AM

My thoughts exactly!

Tony said:
    January 17, 2013 at 12:52 PM

How about either:
    1. Teenager ,or,
    2. Indian with treaty rights and screw you attitude.
    No way this is NRA or legitimate outdoors man.

native american said:
      January 17, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Hey Tony,
      not cool.
      I am a native american and every native american I know would never do something like that. In our culture the Eagle is held in very high regard and sacred. I guess you don't know much about native american culture. Sometimes ignorance isn't bliss it just ignorant.

Keepslowprofile said:
        January 20, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Thank you Native American.

Tony reminded me of a good quote by Galileo Galilei
        I never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him.

Dave said:
    January 17, 2013 at 2:57 PM

People who don`t own guns say things like, "must be a NRA gun nut". I own several guns, and I would never dream of killing an Eagle. Think before you spew stupid people.

Freelander said:
    January 17, 2013 at 6:12 PM

When they ban guns, somebody would have stabbed the eagles to death!!!!!!

Bren said:
    January 17, 2013 at 8:54 PM

I would be willing to guess that some idiot was trying to get a 'trophy' illegally. Dumbasses

zmeeker said:
    January 18, 2013 at 7:43 AM

Mmmmmm….Tastes like chicken!

PinkSkater said:
    January 18, 2013 at 8:28 AM

This story and the pictures break my heart. Not just for the sake of these eagles, but the idiot that gave us RESPONSIBLE gun owners a bad rep. I'm willing to bet it was some young person who was under the influence of friends possible substances, not a NRA member or any other gun owner that is aware of the huge responsibility that comes with owning a firearm.

elden said:
    January 18, 2013 at 10:07 AM

As a responsible gun owner, I do not condone trophy hunting or killing something just for the sake of killing. Eagles are not considered a game bird because they are protected. I believe it was either a kid with a new 22 caliber rifle wanting to be the big game hunter or someone that was using drugs or alcohol. This doesn't mean they are an NRA member or a hunter, just irresponsible.

This is the same type of person that shoots at road signs ignoring the houses or kids on the other side.

The person that shot these eagles should be charged with a felony, thus being prevented by law from legally owning a firearm again.

jujubee said:
    January 18, 2013 at 2:49 PM

may this idiot rot in hell! he will meet the maker for what he's done and held accountable for his deeds, in the meantime, pls oh pls catch this fool and pluck his feathers, make an example out of him and put him away for a while, fine him up the gazoo! and ruin him

Monika said:
    January 19, 2013 at 4:46 PM

So let me get this straight, it is a crime to kill a bird but it is not a crime to kill an unborn child – Now that is idiotic!!!!! Oh that’s right – Pro-Choice, what about Life (at conception)!!!!

pyotor mancuso said:
    January 20, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Raise the fine to $10,000 and 5 years in prison.

disgusted said:
    January 21, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Monika, maybe your parents should have aborted you…this way we wouldn't have to be subjected to your stupidity.

Buck Fever said:
    January 23, 2013 at 7:59 AM

Wow, I mean WOW! Got to be a dumb NRA Ted Nugent wannabe because that's what they promote. Shooting for fun, killing for FUN!!