Longtime couple to be among first in line under same-sex marriage law

coupleSEATTLE — On Thursday, counties across the state will start issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples.  Among the first in line will be two women in Seattle who have been together for 35 years.

“I`m just thrilled to death,” Pete-e Petersen said Monday as she sat next to her longtime partner, Jane Abbott Lighty. “I think, is it really happening?  I wanted to marry her for a long time.”

As the day approaches, Petersen and Lighty are fighting back tears just thinking about it.

“It’s so unbelievable. Careful what you ask, because we`re so close,” Lightly said as she started to choke up with emotion.

“Don`t,” Petersen said to her.

“I won`t.  It`s a watershed moment.  It’s pure joy,” Lightly added.

The two will be heading to the King County Courthouse at midnight Wednesday to be among the first in line to apply for a marriage license at 12:01 a.m. Thursday.

“People are very excited and they should not be denied the right to have that license for even one moment longer,” King County Executive Dow Constantine said.

Constantine plans to be there Wednesday night to issue licenses after the tick of midnight.

“I`m excited to sign the first licenses with the pen that the governor used to sign the marriage equality legislation earlier this year,” Constantine said. “And I will stay and greet the happy couples as long as they continue to show up” in the early morning hours of Dec. 6.

Petersen and Lighty will be married Sunday on the stage at Benaroya Hall, during a performance of the Seattle Men’s and Women’s Chorus, where they have been members for years.

The two had their first blind date 35 years ago.

“She was so interested, she wanted to hear what I had to say,” Lighty said. “And I picked that up right way.”

How quickly had she fallen in love?

“I did that day,” Petersen said. “I did that minute.

“She`s just part of my life,” Petersen said of Lighty. “I mean, I can`t think of a day without, you know,” she added, choking up with emotion. “It’s hard.”

“She`s my life,” Lighty said.

32 Comments to “Longtime couple to be among first in line under same-sex marriage law”

Beth said:
    December 4, 2012 at 12:04 AM

that is Awesome

Hannah said:
    December 4, 2012 at 2:03 AM

Im proud to have seen this in my lifetime. I’m proud to have voted yes on 74. I’m sooooooo happy for this, and other) couples. <3 That's too long to have to wait, and you made it. <3

Frank Riese said:
    December 4, 2012 at 2:34 AM

This is wonderful!

Please explain to me how this wonderful couple is destroying any marriages! Please do.

JeniO said:
      December 4, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Well, you see Frank…..their happiness is making miserable couples jealous with rage. Therefore it's their fault.

George Bakan said:
    December 4, 2012 at 3:05 AM

Can't say poster children … but it is so thrilling to see this couple who have done so much good work for this cause get married. We are all CHEERING and the hug and tears are fro sheer joy, indeed. GB / SGN

Allswell said:
    December 4, 2012 at 11:23 AM

I'm extremely happy for these women. They've waited long enough.

Anonymous said:
    December 4, 2012 at 12:10 PM

I am so happy for these women, but disappointed that where I am, there wasn’t even an option to vote ‘yes’ for this!

jason Jacobs said:
    December 4, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Congrats ladies! You are the very reason why I volunteered so many hours to help get REF 74 Approved! See on Thursday!

Drew Emery said:
    December 4, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Jane and Pete-e have the epitome of what all couples hope to have. I've shared their story with a lot of people and never once has anyone questioned the sincerity, love or commitment they bring to their relationship. In fact, the response is quite often envy.

Smidgeroo said:
    December 4, 2012 at 6:53 PM

May you lovely ladies have the most wonderful wedding day! I'm so glad you'll get to look at each other and be able to call each other your wife for real! 'Bout darn time!

NotBuyingIt02 said:
    December 4, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Butch and Chuck are just senile.

Guest said:
      December 5, 2012 at 4:29 AM

hah… sucks to suck nerd, they are getting married and nothing you can do about it other than making a lame lesbian/old person joke.

jusme101 said:
        December 5, 2012 at 8:52 AM

hah, nota valid concern what the nut jobs do.

Lisa said:
    December 4, 2012 at 7:04 PM

How can they not choke you up? This is amazing for them and for all. Proud day!!!

bando said:
    December 4, 2012 at 9:22 PM

They're so cute! Good for them!

Bonnie Mitchell said:
    December 4, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Congratulation ladies! It’s about darned time. Happy for you.

palmboy said:
    December 4, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Just BEAUTIFUL – how could any reasonable person deny this.

Wes Baggett said:
    December 5, 2012 at 5:42 AM

I am what has been described as a southern redneck but i have always been of the mind "Do what makes you happy" No one can define another's happiness so mind your own damned business. With socalled traditional divorce rates at well over 50% they lose their point about "Family Values"

Mr Holmes said:
      January 20, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Well here's family values for you! 2 gay women married went to sperm bank and one became pregnant through artificial insemination had the baby thay split up and now the state going after the sperm doner Oh and Wes if your gay keep it behind closed doorsfor Child Support from the biological father. So tell me and my childrenhow 2 wrongs ever made a right! Oh and Wes if your gay i dont care just dont flaunt it in public!

Toronto Guy said:
    December 5, 2012 at 7:04 AM

What a great story!
    We have had marriage equality in Canada since 2005 and the world is still spinning
    I wish these ladies and everyone in Washington who voted "yes" all my best.

Prince Lindo said:
    December 5, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Best wishes to both of you:) I hope others may follow through with there dreams and ambitions:)

warren said:
    December 5, 2012 at 9:02 AM

still ant right

Mr Holmes said:
      January 20, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Im with U Warren read my comment below

warren said:
    December 5, 2012 at 9:12 AM

wh partt of man and wife don't younunderstandyat

GAYMILITARYMAN said:
      December 5, 2012 at 11:00 AM

What part of every American's unalienable rights of life, liberty, and the PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS don't you understand?

Paulie said:
    December 5, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Bright blessings to these lovely ladies!

Nicole Pemberton said:
    December 6, 2012 at 9:15 AM

This makes me smile “) and who in the world could have any negative comment to say about 2 sweet old ladies??

aaah I hope they have a wonderful fulfilled life together!

Renee Layden said:
    December 6, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Have admired Pete-e & Jane since I first volunteered with SMC in 1993 or so. I am so happy for these wonderful people!

Mr Holmes said:
    January 20, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Nice to see so many people happy too bad ist something CHILDREN SHOULD NOT SEE! In the privacy of your own home is one thing I dont care. But when you flaunt gayness in front of children it is totally wrong! Its not natural boys are boys and girl are girls. Pay ATTENTION! The bees dont screw each other and the birds dont either or the lions , tigers , fish, elephants should i go on only dogs and retarded humans and the ones sexually molested when they were children and prisoners. have these tendancies All I can say is God bless your faggety asses. Im so glad my kids are grown and NORMAL HUMANS! Gay is short circut in the brain! Not tryin to be funny its just the Truth!

Mr Holmes said:
    January 20, 2013 at 10:22 AM

None of these retarded gay folks would be here if it was woman+woman or Man+Man NOT FOR CHILDREN TO SEE!!!!! Keep that shit disclosed in your own home!

Mr Holmes said:
    January 20, 2013 at 10:48 AM

What goes on behind closed doors is your business. Nobody can say shit about it but when you flaunt it in public it is unacceptable. I remember 10th grade highschool , walked my girlfriend to class gave her a kiss the teacher came out and took me to the principle's office where i recieved a SWAT. So if a man and a woman cant express thier love for eachother in public then faggety asses should not be allowed to flaunt their crap in public. Makes me sick to my stomache to see that shit so widely publicized!
    Very concerned parent!

Mr Holmes said:
    January 20, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Thoes sweet old ladies are nothin but a couple of female dogs in heat. Actual termenology (BITCHES)