The number of coronavirus cases in the US passed 3,300 on Sunday, as a top US health official warned that America hasn't hit the peak of its outbreak.
As of Sunday afternoon, there were 769 confirmed cases and 42 deaths in Washington state. Of the more than 10,200 tests administered so far in Washington, 9,451 were negative.
The two new deaths on Sunday -- a woman in her 60s and a woman in her 70s -- were both residents of Life Care Center of Kirkland, the center of the state's outbreak. Public health officials said 29 of the 42 deaths are linked to the Kirkland nursing home.
There are 37 deaths in King County, four deaths in Snohomish County and one reported in Grant County as of Sunday afternoon.
Positive cases have been reported in 17 of the state's 39 counties. The highest numbers are in King (420), Snohomish (176) and Pierce (29) counties. There are 104 cases in Washington state that haven't been assigned to counties.
Local blood supply in danger of collapse
Growing COVID-19 concerns and closures have canceled countless blood drives and caused 2,500 lost donations, putting the local blood supply in danger of collapse.
Inventories are holding steady for now thanks to an uptick in donors who stepped up this week, but donations will continue to drop in the days and weeks to come.
Public health officials say new donors are needed, in addition to regular donations from repeat donors. All blood types are needed for things like cancer treatments, trauma cases and more.
Donating blood is a safe activity, and there is no risk of contracting coronavirus from the blood donation process.
Bloodworks Northwest has more information on coronavirus, who is eligible to donate blood, and donation locations.
'We have not yet reached our peak'
Pointing to the way the coronavirus has spread in other countries, Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease, said that the US can still expect more cases and deaths, primarily among older and vulnerable people.
"We have not yet reached our peak," Fauci said at a White House briefing Saturday.
As of Sunday morning, there were at least 3,010 coronavirus cases in 49 states, Puerto Rico, the US Virgin Islands and Washington DC. At least 61 people have died. West Virginia remained the only state without any confirmed cases.
With the threat of further spread on the horizon, officials across the country have imposed a slew restrictions to curb the spread of the virus. Local governments have encouraged residents to stay home and practice social distancing. Some states, including California, New York and Washington state have banned large gatherings, and by Sunday afternoon, California and Illinois ordered the closure of bars. Illinois is also closing restaurants.
Schools across the country have closed, worship services have been canceled and recreational and entertainment events are at a near-halt, bringing dramatic changes to the everyday lives of Americans.
And the restrictions and closures keep coming.
Hoboken, New Jersey, announced a citywide curfew starting Monday. Residents will be required to stay in their homes from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m., with exceptions for work, Mayor Ravinder Bhalla said.
Bars and restaurants in Hoboken won't be allowed to serve food inside their locations as of Sunday at 11 a.m. They "will be permitted to conduct food takeout and food delivery service only," Bhalla said.
In Colorado, Gov. Jared Polis issued an executive order Saturday requiring downhill ski resorts close for a week due to the presence of coronavirus in the mountain communities with limited care capacity.
Polis said he was directing "downhill ski resorts to suspend operations for one week to slow the spread of COVID-19 and conserve medical resources in our mountain communities."
The governor said officials will continue to monitor the course of the outbreak and may amend the executive order.
And Los Angeles County will temporarily suspend all jury trials through March 30, according to a source and an internal police memo obtained by CNN. Los Angeles Police Department spokesman Josh Rubenstein confirmed the contents of the memo to CNN.
The hiatus would include the murder trial of multi-millionaire Robert Durst, pending a final approval from the judge presiding over his case.
"The courts will re-examine the suspension decision continuance prior to March 30th," the police memo states. "Personnel will be resubpoenaed through the courts for new jury trial dates."
Travelers returning to US find long airport lines
President Donald Trump expanded restrictions on entry into the US from Europe to include the United Kingdom and Ireland. The travel restrictions go into effect Monday at midnight.
Restrictions from 26 other countries in Europe went into effect Friday.
US citizens and their family members are exempt from both sets of restrictions, but they are subject to enhanced medical screenings upon arrival.
Some passengers returning from Europe said they faced long lines and confusion upon landing at US airports.
Katherine Rogers landed at Chicago's O'Hare International Airport Saturday. After waiting in line for about five hours to be screened by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, she was told she had an hour more to go.
"No one seems prepared," she said. "To take us off planes from all over the world and put us together for hours seems counterproductive."
Illinois Gov. JB Pritzker criticized federal officials for the long lines, telling NBC's "Meet the Press" Sunday they should have increased the number of personnel to handle the influx of travelers returning to the US.
"Last night, as people were flooding into O'Hare airport, they were stuck in a small area. Hundreds and hundreds of people. And that's exactly what you don't want in this pandemic," the governor said.
"And then today," he added, "it's going to be even worse. There are a larger number of flights with more people coming. And they seem completely unprepared."
Long lines also greeted travelers arriving at John F. Kennedy International Airport, where passengers said they were instructed to share pens to fill out paperwork even as Americans are being urged not to come in close contact with one another.
"They didn't have pens and told us to share, which sounds like a great thing in the middle of the pandemic," passenger Katelyn Deibler said.
Trump says more tests will be available
President Trump declared a national emergency Friday, freeing up $50 billion in federal resources to combat the outbreaks.
"No resource will be spared, nothing whatsoever," he said.
The Trump administration said Friday it was partnering with the private sector to also boost testing capacity -- with both more tests and drive-through testing.
The country's testing system has received stark criticism from health officials and people who said they were turned away despite showing symptoms. Fauci said earlier this week the US testing system was failing to meet the public's needs.
On Friday, Trump said 5 million coronavirus tests would be available within a month. He also said American retail executives would be donating resources to facilitate drive-through testing across the country.
But those companies later said they had few details on what they could offer or when test kits would be available.
Trump told reporters Saturday that he took a coronavirus test Friday night. The White House later said the test was negative.
Meanwhile, facilities in New York, Illinois and Colorado have started offering drive-through testing.
"Drive-through testing means people in this community can call a telephone number, make an appointment and then can come to be tested and literally drive through the testing facilities," New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said.
"It's not only faster and easier. It's also smarter and safer because you're not exposing people who may be positive."