Protests continue Saturday in downtown Seattle
SpaceX rocket ship blasts off into orbit with 2 Americans

Toxic algae already blooming in Summit Lake

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

Summit Lake is once again dealing with a toxic algae bloom.  That means you can't use water from the lake, even if you boil or filter it first.  That could be a problem around Summit Lake, because so many people use the lake as their main water source.  Thurston County Public Health says it's not safe to use the water for anything, or eat fish caught in the lake, until the algae bloom is gone.

In fact, health officials say you shouldn't even let your pets touch the lake water -  much less drink it.

Blue-green algae is also known as cyanobacteria.  It can produce toxins that will make adults sick, or paralyze children and pets.  In the most serious cases, contact with the algae can be deadly.

Toxic algae blooms usually happen a little later in the spring and summer, when warmer temperatures and longer daylight hours give the organisms everything they need to grow.

Officials say toxic algae blooms are becoming more common in Washington lakes, but they're not sure why.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.