TACOMA -- The Tacoma City Council has voted to pass proposed tenant protections for the city Tuesday night.
Tacoma Mayor, Victoria Woodards said at Tuesday's meeting that this ordinance begins the process of leveling the playing field for renters and landlords.
The issue came to light after what happened to residents at the Tiki Apartments, who were only given 20 days to move out in April 2018. Renters have since pushed for strong laws to prevent a similar experience.
The proposed ordinance includes:
- 60-day notice to terminate tenancy
- 120-day notice for renovation, demolition, or change of use
- Tenant relocation assistance
- 60-day notice of rent increases
- Installment payments for move-in costs
- Penalties for landlords who do not comply with the law.