Man pleads guilty to arson in 2015 Washington fire that destroyed 30 homes

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

WENATCHEE, Wash. — A 39-year-old man has admitted to setting a fire that destroyed nearly 30 homes in north-central Washington in 2015.

Jeremy Kendall of Wenatchee pleaded guilty to first-degree arson Tuesday in Chelan County Superior Court.

Chelan County Prosecutor Douglas Shae says Kendall was sentenced to 27 months in prison.

The so-called Sleepy Hollow fire in the Wenatchee area scorched more than 4 square miles during the state’s worst wildfire season.

Kendall was charged in 2016 but was found to be incompetent to stand trial. He was ordered to undergo mental health treatment at Eastern State Hospital.

Shae says Kendall was found fit to stand trial and indicated at his arraignment last week that he wanted to enter a guilty plea.

Shae says people whose homes burned have been compassionate about Kendall’s condition but also feel he didn’t get enough time.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.