Six injured in electrical shock incident on amusement park ride
NEW LONDON, Conn. – Six children were taken to the hospital after an electrical shock incident while they were riding on an amusement ride in New London on Tuesday afternoon, WFSB reported.
The children were on the Scrambler ride at Ocean Beach Park when the electrical shock happened around 2 p.m. The victims suffered minor injuries and were taken to Lawrence and Memorial Hospital.
Authorities said one child suffered minor burns to his hands when he touched a bar as he was leaving the area of the ride.
The operator also felt the shock as he turned off the ride.
Andrea Kamboli goes to Ocean Beach Park with his 10-year-old daughter all the time, but he said he no longer allows her to ride the amusement park rides.
“Two years ago we go on those things…as you can see they are old,” Kamboli said.
Laurie Oliveri said she also plans to have her three granddaughters steer clear of the rides as well.
“It just doesn’t seem like a safe kind of thing, I don’t know their safety record or anything, but I would not,” Oliveri said.
The park rides were shut down for the rest of the day as investigators tried to figure out what happened.
The Fire and Explosion Investigation Unit detectives responded to the park.