Garage fire spreads to nearby homes in Port Orchard

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

PORT ORCHARD -- A garage fire in Port Orchard spread to nearby homes but thanks to a driver who saw the flames three people managed to escape.

The fire was first reported around 1:30 a.m. Tuesday in the 700 block of Kitsap Street, near the Port Orchard Courthouse.

This could have been a really tragic situation if not for the good Samaritan who saw the flames and got these people out of the house.

The driver was heading down Bay Street when he saw smoke and flames nearby. He rushed up to the door, banged on it and woke up everyone inside. Three adults were inside and escaped safely.

The fire then spread to a neighbor's garage and home. They were also able to get out safely.

Firefighters got the fire under control in about 45 minutes and kept it from spreading further.

Investigators are still working to figure out what started the fire.