Seattle hospital sees increase in e-cigarette explosions

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SEATTLE (AP) — Two people have been treated for burns at a Seattle hospital as the number of people injured by exploding e-cigarettes continues to climb.

Our news partner The Seattle Times reports that Seattle’s Harborview Medical Center has treated 14 victims for e-cigarette-related burns in the past year, including two this month. On Sunday a 34-year-old Kirkland man was injured when an e-cigarette battery in his back pocket ignited, leaving him with third-degree burns.

Other recent cases include a 2-year-old Seattle boy who was burned in March when his mother’s device ignited and a 53-year-old Oak Harbor man whose e-cigarette exploded in his front pocket.

Dr. Elisha Brownson at Harborview says the hospital sees one or two patients for e-cigarette burns a month.