BONNEY LAKE -- Police are asking everyone to be on the lookout after several bear sightings in less than a week.
Last night, a bear was spotted near the 18000 block of 70th Street East. Bonney Lake Police notified the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife.
This is the third time bears have been spotted near neighborhoods this month. Last week, someone saw a bear cub near Locust and Bonney Lake Boulevard. Another cub was also spotted near the entrance to Inlet Island at 207th and 64th Street East.
Last month, a family of bears tore through the trash behind a home on 189th Avenue near Bonney Lake High School and Mountain View Middle School.
To prevent neighborhood run-ins with bears, wildlife experts offer these tips:
- Never intentionally feed bears or other wild animals.
- Keep garbage cans in a garage or another secure area until collection day.
- Remove pet food from areas accessible to wildlife.
- Thoroughly clean barbecue grills after each use.
- Take down seed and hummingbird feeders until winter.
- Clean up fallen fruit.
If you see a bear, Bonney Lake police say call 911.