Prosecutors believe alleged killers were reading couple’s social media in days after killing

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Monique Patenaude, from Facebook

ARLINGTON, Wash. – Snohomish County prosecutors believe John and Tony Reed had control of Monique Patenaude and Patrick Shunn’s laptop and cellphones and were reading their Facebook messages in the days after the two were killed, according to court documents released Tuesday.

According to an affidavit for a search warrant, two friends sent Facebook messages in the two days after the couple were allegedly murdered, and the messages showed up as “read” almost immediately.

The Snohomish County sheriff’s office has said the Reeds killed Shunn, 45, and his wife, Patenaude, 46, of Arlington, on or about April 11 over a longstanding property dispute. John Reed was the couple’s neighbor.

The sheriff’s office said it received two tips that the brothers were in Mexicali, Mexico, on April 18.

The documents also allege that Tony Reed’s ex-wife told detectives he had hinted to her in the past that he’s killed people.

The ex-wife also said Tony Reed described an incident in which he’d kidnapped a man, put him in the trunk of his car, drove him to the mountains and dug a grave to intimidate the man into not testifying against him in an assault case.

More allegations from the court documents:

  • The brothers told their father, Clyde Reed of Ellensburg, that they were in trouble and that detectives were going to come looking for them.
  • John Reed’s phone made three trips to Ellensburg between April 10 and April 14.
  • Detectives have confiscated a Ford F-250 that belongs to Clyde Reed. They said it has possibly been struck by a bullet on the rear passenger taillight, and that Clyde Reed said John Reed had been using the truck.
  • Detectives found a 9mm shell near the victims’ driveway.
  • On April 14, John Reed tried to cash a $96,000 cashier’s check, which was money that came from selling his property to the county. The bank said it couldn’t cash that much, so he divided up the amount to different family members, including his father, who was given $40,000. His father tried to deposit the check, but detectives had frozen the money.
  • A game camera at the end of the victims’ driveway is missing, and detectives say someone took it after the couple went missing. There was a media card left behind that contained images of John Reed, but it was from previous months not close to the date of the victims’ disappearance.
Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.