Police searching for hit-and-run driver who left bicyclist with life-threatening injuries

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

BELLEVUE, Wash. – The crash happened at about 6 a.m. Wednesday along 118th Avenue Southeast near the I-90 overpass, according to police.

Jane Kriehn’s family said Kriehn was the victim of the crash. Police said the victim wore a helmet at the time of the crash but she is now in serious condition at Harborview Medical Center.

Investigators believe a driver struck her bike while it was inside the crosswalk, but the driver then took off after tossing her 100 feet down the street.

“The car’s going to have some damage to its headlights,” said Bellevue police spokesman Seth Tyler. “If you were in that area and you’ve got some damage on your headlight that wasn’t there before, give us a call. You may not have even known that you hit someone but we need to hear from you.”

Police recovered several pieces of headlight covers at the scene.

Late Wednesday afternoon, they were able to figure out what kind of vehicle it was from the broken pieces -- a 2013-2015 Honda Accord.

The city of Bellevue had added new street markings and signage at the crosswalk in 2015 to warn drivers of the heavy bicycle and pedestrian traffic along the road.

But neighbors and cyclist said drivers still aren’t always being safe.

“I almost got knocked off a few times, especially under this I-90 bridge,” said cyclist Pavel Natekin. “People aren’t paying attention.”

Investigators believe it is possible the driver may not have known they hit anything. But some cyclists and neighbors wonder how anyone could hit something in the road and not notice.

“That’s scary,” said neighbor Hiro Mikami. “I’m highly active; I run and ride my bike and everything. To know that can happen at any time. I’m being careful and other people aren’t, my life could be over the next day."

Anyone with information in the case is asked to call Bellevue Police Department.