Hoverboard ignites while owner is away, damages her home

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

ARLINGTON, Wash. --  Hannah Hop's Arlington home nearly burned to the ground when her hoverboard caught fire.

A neighbor spotted the flames and called 911.

“It was a Christmas present from my Grandma. My Dad told me never leave the house with it plugged in,” says Hop.

While Hannah's experience is startling, she`s not alone. This is the third time we've seen a hoverboard ignite locally.  It happened in December at a kiosk at an outlet mall in Auburn.  Then again in January to a UW Bothell student on campus.

Nationally, there have been dozens of fires.  And the scooters are banned on several airlines.  Experts blame the board`s lithium ion batteries.  The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission is calling on hoverboard makers and sellers to take them off the market until they can be certified as safe.

“You never think it’s going to happen to you, but then it does,” says Hop.

While Hannah waits for the damages to be repaired, she hopes her story will warn others with a hoverboard that you could be playing with more than just a toy.  You could possibly be playing with fire.

“You shouldn't have one.  I don't think so,” says Hop.

Arlington city officials say if you are going to take the risk and have one of these "toys" in your home, monitor it while you charge it.  If at any time you notice the hoverboard overheating, unplug it and get it outside immediately.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.