COVID-19 in Washington: Links and resources to help you during coronavirus pandemic

Sippy tests positive for mold; travel mugs also a problem

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

SEATTLE -- Local mold experts tested a dark substance inside a popular sippy cup and determined the scum inside was mold. Now, officials say popular travel mugs can also harbor that same harmful fungus if they aren't cared for correctly.

Environix in Lynnwood tests and removes harmful mold. Experts swabbed a sample of the mucus and sent it to a local lab. Our test results showed the substance was mold. Doctors say ingesting mold can be harmful to your health.

Dr. Sheela Sathyanarayana is a specialist at Children's Hospital in Seattle. She said, "Your stomach feels sick and you feel nauseated. There’s vomiting. Diarrhea. So those are the general kinds of symptoms from mold exposure."

James Mallory at Environix says mold growth can occur in any moist area that supplies a food source. In our case, the sippy had leftover dairy which acted as a perfect food source.

Mallory said, "Basically, anytime you’ve got fluid going through an area that you cannot readily clean you have the potential for microbial growth. I think sippy cups are probably the most problematic."

But Mallory said mold growth could occur in popular drinking mugs and liquid containers we all use on a regular basis.

We purchased five popular liquid containers from a second hand store and cracked open the tops and found a substance inside that looked questionable. Experts say all devices need to be cleaned thoroughly and completely dry off before they are used again.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.