Get a custom Q13 forecast and severe weather alerts in your inbox

Fire marshal: Propane leak caused explosion in Port Orchard

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

PORT ORCHARD – A propane leak likely caused an explosion at a mobile home in Port Orchard on Tuesday that killed two people, the Kitsap County fire marshal said in a press release Friday.

The report said “initial conclusions indicate” that a leaky gas pipe caused gas to accumulate in and under the home, and something ignited it at around 4 a.m.

The explosion destroyed the home, killing William and Maria McDonald, and ignited a fire in the debris and the nearby structures.

If you live nearby and either find the McDonalds’ personal items or suffered damage of your own, call the fire marshal’s office at 360-337-5777.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.