16-year-old accused of killing Wesley Gennings charged as an adult with first-degree murder

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

FEDERAL WAY – The 16-year-old boy accused of killing 16-year-old Wesley Gennings in Federal Way last week is being charged as an adult with first-degree murder.

Michael J. Rogers is also being charged with first-degree unlawful possession of a firearm in what police have said was a robbery targeting Gennings’ marijuana.

A 14-year-old boy who police have said was also involved will likely be charged on Wednesday, prosecutors said.

According to charging documents, Rogers was given a deferred disposition in juvenile court on Jan. 26 related to three separate incidents: attempted robbery, first-degree attempted theft, and fourth-degree assault. Prosecutors said he was offered “Option B” at that time – treatment in lieu of incarceration.

As part of that deal, he agreed he couldn’t be in possession of a firearm.

Less than three weeks later, prosecutors say, he and the 14-year-old planned the robbery that would lead to the shooting death of Gennings.

Details of the earlier charges aren’t available because Rogers was in juvenile court.

Prosecutors asked for $1 million bail, saying witnesses to the murder “expressed extreme fear of retaliation by the defendant, his family, and his associates.”

Q13 News typically doesn’t name minors who have been accused of a crime unless they’ve been charged as an adult.