Get the top 5 daily headlines and breaking news alerts from Seattle’s #1 morning news

Former district attorney says he warned successor that Cosby case had been ‘put to rest’

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Bill Cosby. Courtesy CNN.

Former Pennsylvania district attorney Bruce Castor testified Tuesday that when he heard speculation last year that his successor might charge Bill Cosby for alleged sexual assault in a 2004 case, he reminded her by email that he’d already committed the state to not prosecuting the comedian, and that the case had been “put to rest.”

“I knew I had bound the commonwealth as a representative of the sovereign,” Castor said, referring to his 2005 announcement that he would not prosecute Cosby over Andrea Constand’s allegations that the comedian sexually assaulted her. He said he wrote an email from his home to his successor, Risa Vetri Ferman, late last year.

“I wrote her an email explaining the situation from 2005 to tell her to tread carefully, because in my opinion, she was exposing herself to civil liability because the decision to go forward with Cosby was put to rest in 2005. I went into some detail on that so she would have it on record,” Castor said.

Ferman filed charges against Cosby in December 2015, shortly before leaving office.

Cosby’s lawyers are contending that charges filed late last year in the case should be dismissed because Castor had announced in 2005 that Cosby wouldn’t be prosecuted.