Fire at Capitol Hill apartment blamed on faulty wiring

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Photo by Ryan Dewey

SEATTLE (AP) — A fire at a Capitol Hill apartment that injured five people was caused by faulty wiring in a refrigerator.

The Seattle Times reports that the Seattle Fire Department determined the blaze was sparked by a malfunction in a refrigerator in one of the units.

Fire spokesman Lt. Harold Webb says of the five people injured in Monday’s fire, four suffered smoke inhalation.

Webb says another woman was hurt after jumping out a third-floor window onto the roof of a building next door. All were taken to Harborview Medical Center.

Spokeswoman Susan Gregg said on Tuesday that three people remain in serious condition in the intensive-care unit and two are listed in satisfactory condition.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.