Couple died after inhaling generator fumes, medical examiner says

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

EVERSON, Wash. (AP) — The Whatcom County medical examiner says two people died in their home near Everson after inhaling gas fumes from a generator during last weekend’s power outage.

The Bellingham Herald says 82-year-old Anthony Vermeulen and 71-year-old Marilyn Vermeulen were found dead Wednesday evening.

Medical Examiner Gary Goldfogel says autopsies Thursday revealed the couple inhaled gas fumes, most likely carbon monoxide, from a portable generator. The time of death is unclear.

The Whatcom County Sheriff’s Office says the family had not heard from them since Sunday or Monday. A relative who checked on the house Wednesday found their bodies. The generator was running outside a cellar door, which was opened slightly.

A windstorm knocked out power to thousands in Western Washington on Saturday. It wasn’t immediately clear when the couple’s power went out or when it was restored.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.