8 Minutes of Terror: Timeline of Puyallup shooting rampage that left 1 dead

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Richard Johnson, 71, of Puyallup, was shot and killed Tuesday.

PUYALLUP, Wash. — Police say they still don’t have a motive for a gunman’s wild shooting spree Tuesday that left one man dead.

But on Wednesday they revealed the timeline of the multiple shootings that were scattered over more than a mile.

Detectives investigated eight different crime scenes and looked at 14 different homes that were targeted for gunfire.

The suspect — Nathan Terault, 34, of Tacoma — remained hospitalized under guard.

Data pix.

Fifteen-year-old Malcom Duck of Puyallup remembered Tuesday as a traumatic eight-minute shooting spree he will never forget.

“Just gunshots and yelling,” Duck said.

The teenager ran into his friend’s home for cover when a gunman started randomly shooting at homes, backyards and cars.

“Just terrifying,” Duck said.

“It was totally surreal,” added neighbor Chase Cardwell.

Detectives laid out the path of terror on a map.

“We have multiple firearms in play here,” Puyallup police spokesman Scott Engle said.

The suspect had two guns, one of which was stolen in Lakewood, he said.

The shooting spree started at about 2:30 p.m. Tuesday when the suspect climbed into Richard Johnson’s pickup truck parked in the 500 block of 14th Street SW.

“The 71-year-old victim had gone to the pickup truck to see what the offender was up to when he was immediately killed when he contacted him,” Engle said.

A woman across the street saw the shooting and tried to get her children playing in the backyard to safety.

“He immediately fires on the house, on the woman and her children,” Engle said.

The gunman fired into another home, then stopped at a third home to carjack a vehicle  belonging to a mother and son who were inside the home.

“He fires on them as well,” Engle said.

At least four bullets whizzed by the victims' heads. At this point, police said, officers were in hot pursuit

“He was firing towards police officers, I watched him fire at least five shots,” one witness said.

That’s when the gunman saw his way out. A woman pulled into her garage but there wasn’t enough time for the door to close.

“He lifted the garage when it was closing, so it’s pretty scary,” Duck said.

Police say Terault and the woman came face to face, and he shot over the woman's head and demanded her car as neighbors watched in fear.

“We saw her coming out later so that was pretty relieving,” Duck said

But the gunman got behind the wheel and plowed through the garage and sped away. Police were on his tail.

“He comes into a line of parked cars,” Engle said, where, for some reason, he decided to try to steal another car.

“He attempts to carjack an elderly couple,” Engle said.

The carjacking failed and an officer finally got a clear view of the gunman on 9th Avenue SW and Fairview. The officer took some 80-yard shots, with one of the bullets hitting the suspect in the leg.

Another officer then used his patrol car to pin the suspect to the ground.

“It’s simply a miracle that we didn’t have officers who were killed and more citizens who were killed in this incident,” Engle said.

Police say the deceased victim, Johnson, was known as the unofficial block watch guy of his neighborhood. He had two children, three grandchildren and a wife of 50 years.

The family on Wednesday thanked the community for the growing memorial at the site where Johnson died.

Data pix.
Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.