Wilson says he has no contract concerns; Michael Bennett says ‘definitely possible’ he will hold out
SEATTLE — Quarterback Russell Wilson and defense end Michael Bennett talked money Monday, but came it from two different perspectives.
In an ESPN interview, Wilson said he’s not concerned about whether he gets a contract extension before the regular season season starts, when he will make $1.5 million under his current rookie contract.
“I think ultimately, it comes down to the play. Just let my play speak for itself. … Continue to love the game for what it is, continue to fight no matter how much I’m getting paid, no matter if it’s $25 million or if it’s $1.5 million — I’ll be ready to go.”
The interview can be viewed on the ESPN page here: http://espn.go.com/nfl/
Pro Football Talk seized on his mention of the $25 million figure as the possibility he is asking to be the highest paid player in the NFL. Aaron Rodgers currently holds that titel with a $22 million yearly salary.
“I trust the process of it all,” Wilson told ESPN of the contract negotiations. “I’m going to do everything I can to put the work in and let the rest speak for itself,” adding that he wants to play in Seattle for a long time.
Bennett, on the other hand, told the NFL Network in a phone interview that he wants the four-year, $28.5 million contract he signed last year to be reworked — and that if it’s not, it’s “definitely possible” he will hold out at the start of training camp.
He said he believes he has outplayed his contract.
“I know a lot of people disagree because I don’t put up all the numbers, but if you watch the games, I’m doing good things,” he said. “They want me to play five positions but pay me for one.”
Here is a link to the Bennett interview video: