COVID-19 in Washington: Links and resources to help you during coronavirus pandemic

‘It was just a pain that I have never felt before,’ Woman undergoes emergency surgery after BBQ

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

Wallingford, CT (WFSB) -- With the weather getting nicer, family barbecues will be taking place all across the state with upcoming frequency.

However, before cooking up some hot dogs and hamburgers, doctors are warning that the way grills are being cleaned could be putting families in serious danger.

Those who clean their grills with a wire bristled brush could be taking a risk, as those bristles could end up in the food that is being cooked. After eating a burger from the grill, Cheryl Harrison, of Wallingford, Connecticut said she quickly knew something was wrong.

Within 48 hours she had severe pains and was rushed to the hospital.

"It was just a pain that I have never felt before," Harrison said. "I felt my stomach was bloated... extremely tender to the touch. You could not even push on anything - just hurt my stomach."

She had ingested a small, thin wire that became lodged in her intestine.

Her husband had cleaned the grill with a wire-bristled brush before cooking, and one of those bristles had fallen off and was inside of her burger.

"I have never heard of anything like this happening to anyone. I was totally shocked when it happened to me," Harrison said.

Two weeks ago, Harrison had emergency surgery at Midstate Medical Center.

Dr. Aziz Benbrahim said not only is this type of situation extremely dangerous, it isn't as rare as one might think.

"At that time it makes a hole in the intestine and that's really very life threatening," Benbrahim said. "We had a patient have it for two weeks and he had severe complications and a bigger surgery."

Last year, a young girl named Anna Dunn ingested a 1 inch piece of wire after eating a hot dog at a summer picnic.

She had surgery to remove it after it got lodged in her throat.

With a number of cases happening in Connecticut, Harrison said she wants to make sure no one has to go through what she did.

"I just think everyone should be aware because it's a very dangerous thing and it does happen to people," Harrison said.

There are a number of alternatives for cleaning a grill, such as buying a brush without wire bristles.

Grillers can also use a ball of aluminum foil, a nylon-based sponge, or could choose to burn the food remnants off.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s


Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.