Everett man accused of kidnapping, raping teenage Calif. girl arrested in Oregon

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Russell Deviney, jail booking photos (Courtesy of KPTV/Portland)

Russell Deviney, jail booking photos (Courtesy of KPTV/Portland)

CANNON BEACH, Ore. (KPTV) — Russell Wayne Deviney, 48, of Everett, Wash., who is accused of kidnapping a teenage girl from California and leaving her in Astoria, Ore., was arrested Thursday in Cannon Beach.

KPTV in Portland reported that at 11:15 a.m. Thursday, Cannon Beach police said Deviney was found behind a locked gate in a privately owned wooded area just south of the coastal city.

A passerby spotted him and called police. When officers asked his name, he said, “I’m the guy you’re looking for,” according to police.

The investigation began at 7:30 p.m. Monday when a 15-year-old girl left at a McDonald’s in Astoria, Ore., said she had been kidnapped.

The FBI had been searching for the teenager, who was reported missing out of Sanger, Calif., on Saturday.

Deviney allegedly left the girl at McDonald’s and took off.

Deviney’s 2004 Nissan pickup truck was later found by police, but Deviney remained on the loose.

On Tuesday night, surveillance cameras captured a person believed to be Deviney at the U Street Pub in Seaside, Ore. Witnesses said the man asked questions about how to get to Cannon Beach and was traveling on foot.

Police said Deviney was arrested without incident Thursday. He is facing charges including kidnapping, rape and sex abuse.

Astoria Deputy Police Chief Eric Halverson said the girl in this case believed she had been communicating online with a 19-year-old, KPTV reported.

“Once she realized the person she was meeting actually was a 48-year-old man, she was already in the vehicle and under Deviney’s control,” Halverson said. “The investigation indicates that the girl’s phone was disabled by Deviney and she was able to surreptitiously send a message to her mother at one point.”

The 15-year-old girl was later reunited with her family, who drove up from their home in Sanger.


To read more on this and see the video, go to KPTV/Portland by clicking here.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s


Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.