Storm slams Washington, leaving thousands without power
Q13 FOX Season of Giving

Investigators say cigarette started Renton condo fire that displaces six families

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Q13 FOX photo

RENTON – Six families have been forced from their homes, after fire swept through their condo complex. Investigators have determined that the fire started accidentally, when a resident put a cigarette out in the planter on his balcony.

“I just thank God that he took care of them.”

Sharon Grieve is grateful for the firefighters who went into her home this afternoon and rescued her dog Rory and her cat Max.

“I knew he was in there, he’s not a cat that’s going to go running out if they open the doors. So I knew he was hiding.”

The fire started in Grieve’s building at the River Valley Condos just after 2 pm. Neighbors say it spread quickly.

“We saw a small flame become a bigger flame, then go into the roof and become a humongous flame,” says Maili Black, who lives nearby.

“By the time I came outside which was 3 or four minutes, the whole top of the building was red flames,” adds Lucia Lacava.

Firefighters were able to keep the fire from spreading to other nearby buildings. But six units are a complete loss, including Grieve’s.

“My husband died about two months ago,” she says. “I was just trying to start a new life, and then this happens.”

But she knows she’s lucky that she and her animals were able to get out, and none of her neighbors were hurt.

“My church is just right over here, and they told me they’re going to help in any way they can. Me and anybody else that needs help.”

The Red Cross is also helping the families with food, clothing and shelter.

Investigators estimate the damage at about a million and a half dollars.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

3 comments

  • Frank D.

    The displaced residence ought to sue the pants off the smoker who was careless about their smoking habits. That will set an example smoking has big time finical consequences.

  • JoshuaSColeman

    >>>my neighbor’s half-sister makes $76 /hr on the internet …. She has been unemployed for 8 months but last month her check was $20529 just working on the internet for a few hours. visit site>>>> Read More