(CNN) — Eight members of a Maryland family were found dead in a house Monday when police went to check on the father, who had failed to show up for work.
In this story
- Princess Anne police chief won't comment when asked if carbon monoxide was a cause
- Seven children, whose ages ranged from 6 to 16, were found dead
- Authorities say a generator inside the home was providing electricity
The man and seven children, whose ages ranged from 6 to 16, were discovered in the home, Princess Anne Police Chief Scott Keller said.
No foul play is suspected in the deaths, he said, adding that everyone in the house was related.
[According to the Baltimore Sun, a couple who identified themselves as the adult man’s mother and stepfather said the family was poisoned by carbon monoxide from a generator they were using for heat after the power company cut off their electricity.]
The electricity in the home was powered by a generator, the police chief said. He wouldn’t comment when asked if the deaths were related to carbon monoxide poisoning.
“We have some ideas (about what happened),” Keller said. “I really don’t want to say until the medical examiner can confirm it.”
The children’s mother had been notified about the deaths, but authorities were still withholding the names of the deceased.
Keller said he couldn’t give any more details before the cause of the deaths is determined. Autopsies are scheduled for Tuesday.
On Monday morning when, an employer called police with concerns about the missing man. Officers went to the home, where a vehicle was parked in the driveway, but got no answer when they knocked. A landlord brought a key and opened a door.