Washington’s stay-home order expires Sunday as counties get more flexibility to reopen

Eight members of Maryland family found dead in home; carbon monoxide poisoning suspected

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

(CNN) — Eight members of a Maryland family were found dead in a house Monday when police went to check on the father, who had failed to show up for work.

In this story

  • Princess Anne police chief won't comment when asked if carbon monoxide was a cause
  • Seven children, whose ages ranged from 6 to 16, were found dead
  • Authorities say a generator inside the home was providing electricity

The man and seven children, whose ages ranged from 6 to 16, were discovered in the home, Princess Anne Police Chief Scott Keller said.

No foul play is suspected in the deaths, he said, adding that everyone in the house was related.

[According to the Baltimore Sun, a couple who identified themselves as the adult man’s mother and stepfather said the family was poisoned by carbon monoxide from a generator they were using for heat after the power company cut off their electricity.]

The electricity in the home was powered by a generator, the police chief said. He wouldn’t comment when asked if the deaths were related to carbon monoxide poisoning.

“We have some ideas (about what happened),” Keller said. “I really don’t want to say until the medical examiner can confirm it.”

The children’s mother had been notified about the deaths, but authorities were still withholding the names of the deceased.

Keller said he couldn’t give any more details before the cause of the deaths is determined. Autopsies are scheduled for Tuesday.

On Monday morning when, an employer called police with concerns about the missing man. Officers went to the home, where a vehicle was parked in the driveway, but got no answer when they knocked. A landlord brought a key and opened a door.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s


  • lukmanq8

    this is a tragedy. every parent should know that electric generator will release carbon monoxide while it is running.
    this accident should become a real warning for all of us.

  • Everett

    We are reaching out to anyone through social media! We”re trying to secure funds to bury 8 people! We need all the help we can get! Any help even if it’s retweeting, Facebook, email, the link for gofundme. ANYTHING will help
    Please help with funeral expenses fo http://www.gofundme.com/r9mhp6x

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.