SEATTLE — About 50 students at Southern Heights Elementary School have come down with norovirus — a very contagious flu-like virus, a Highline School District spokeswoman said Friday.
A total of 69 students were called in sick, she said, but it was believed about 50 of those had norovirus.
The district said they have informed parents, have completed a professional cleaning of the school and that kids will be told to stay at their homes for 48 hours so it does not spread.
As of Friday, students are on their mid-winter break until Wednesday.
The CDC said you can get norovirus from an infected person, contaminated food or water, or by touching contaminated surfaces. The virus causes your stomach or intestines or both to get inflamed (acute gastroenteritis). This leads you to have stomach pain, nausea, and diarrhea and to throw up.