SEATTLE -- Looking for the perfect pregame meal Sunday? Chef Kirsten helps you out!
Watch the video above or check out the recipes below for great tailgate food.
HAWKS TAILGATE/COUCHGATE PARTY PERFECTION: HEALTHY HOMEMADE STEAK BAKED BEANS
2 tsp healthy oil/fat of your choice
1 lb flank or sirloin steak, cut into ½” dice
2 slices bacon, chopped
1 onion, diced
1 bell pepper, seeded and diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
Salt and pepper to taste
1 Tb onion powder
1 Tb paprika
3 Tb maple syrup
2 Tb whole grain mustard
4 oz tomato sauce
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
½ cup broth
Preheat a large soup pot or deep skillet over medium high heat, when hot add oil, swirl to coat. Add the beef in one layer (do 2 batches if necessary) and brown on all sides. Remove to a plate and keep warm. Add the bacon to the pan and cook until crisp. Add the onion, bell pepper, garlic, salt and pepper, onion powder and paprika. Saute, stirring often, until the onion is translucent, about 8-10 minutes. Add the maple syrup, mustard, tomato sauce, beans, broth and beef back to the pan. Stir and bring to a simmer. Cook on low until the beef is cooked to your liking and tender. Serve on it’s own or scooped up with some tortilla chips and enjoy!
Sweet Onion & Pepper Beef Sanwhiches with Au Jus
- 3 to 3-1/2 pounds beef Stew Meat, cut into 1 to 1-1/2 inch pieces
- 2 medium sweet onions, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 2 red bell pepper, cut lengthwise into 1-inch wide strips
- 1 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup no salt added tomato paste
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 to 10 French bread rolls, split, warmed
- Reduced-fat shredded Cheddar cheese, pepperoncini, pepper rings, assorted olives
INSTRUCTIONS FOR SWEET ONION & PEPPER BEEF SANDWICHES WITH AU JUS
- Place onions in 5-1/2 quart slow cooker; top with beef, then pepper slices. Combine beef broth, tomato paste, soy sauce and garlic; add to slow cooker. Cover and cook on HIGH 6 to 7 hours or LOW 8 to 9 hours or until beef is fork-tender. (No stirring is necessary during cooking.) Skim fat from cooking liquid, if necessary.
- Serve beef and vegetables in rolls with toppings, as desired. Serve au jus for dipping, if desired.