Laundry detergent pods are ‘real risk’ to children, new study finds

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

WASHINGTON — Last year a Florida mother of a 7-month-old came back to her room to find that her baby had accidentally eaten one of those bright colored laundry detergent pods.

He had been sleeping in a laundry basket with the pod when it happened. They rushed him to the hospital, but it was too late. He died, of poisoning from the detergent, according to the Kissimmee, Florida, police department.

He is not the first child to mistake the potent packet for something else.

Poison control centers around the country have gotten thousands of calls.

In the period of about a year, 17,230 children under the age of 6 have been accidentally poisoned by the packets, according to a new study in the journal Pediatrics. That’s about one child every hour between March 2012 and April 2013. Of those cases, 4.4% of the children were hospitalized, and 7.5% experienced a “moderate or major medical outcome.”

Children who eat the detergent can immediately go into respiratory distress and vomit violently. If their eye accidentally comes into contact with the pods, exposure can cause severe irritation or even a temporary loss of vision.

The colorful packets can easily be mistaken for candy. Doctors argue there must be more of an effort to prevent children from getting a hold of them. The study authors conclude that a new national safety standard is needed to improve product packaging and labeling. They call the pods a "real risk" to children.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has seen a decline over the years in accidental poisonings due to kids eating household products overall, but the number of accidents related to these pods has increased significantly.

In 2012, New York Sen. Chuck Schumer called on the Consumer Product Safety Commission to make manufacturers put these pods in child proof packaging. He also wanted better labeling about the product's potential danger to children.

That same year Procter and Gamble changed their packaging on the laundry detergent pods they offer. Tide now has a double lock on their lids. Tide also changed the pod design.

In 2013, CPSC did warn parents about the potential danger. They also asked manufacturers to create better packaging. The agency did not mandate the change.

The American Cleaning Institute in 2013 also launched a safety campaign to better help parents understand the dangers and to be sure to keep them where children cannot reach them.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s


  • Laura

    I am not trying to be mean whatsoever here, but how is letting a 7 month old child sleep in a laundry basket with a chemical OK and how does that make it the companies fault? I remember when my children where 7 months old and everything went in their mouths that they would come in contact with. It isn’t rocket science to put anything (even green natural cleaners) up where a child can get into contact with it. Would my children think these where candy? oh probably. Would they try eating it? Without a doubt, but I am not leaving it down where they can reach it, because I don’t take chances. My chemicals I do not need daily are kept in the garage under lock and key and laundry detergent is kept behind a baby gate on a really high shelf that I can barely reach.

  • Crystal

    I absolutely agree with you! Keeping household cleaners somewhere that children can’t get them has always been a widely known rule. I remember when I was growing up the Mr Yucky face stickers were on everything. To me this is common sense. Good job to the companies for repackaging and so on but it really should not have been necessary.

  • Bill

    Be enough of a parent to put your damned household chemicals and cleaners out of reach of children. DUH. Don’t blame the product manufacturers for your own lack of common sense.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.