No E. Coli found in latest Mercer Island water samples, but boil order still in place
MERCER ISLAND — The latest test results of 18 water samples came back negative for E. Coli or Total Coliform, health officials said Saturday.
The boil water advisory will remain in place as city and state health officials continue monitoring water quality.
Seven of the water samples collected were taken with permission from residential properties.
The city also announced that 15 restaurants are opening with limited menus. Health officials said restaurants could re-open after completing specific procedures and passing a public health inspection.
Seattle Public Utilities, Mercer Island’s water provider, is working with the city to inspect water storage vaults and flush water lines.
Officials said no cases of E. Coli illnesses have been reported.
Here's more information from the city:
- City utility professionals collected another 18 samples this morning (including seven samples collected with permission from residential properties) for analysis overnight; results will be released by Noon, Sunday October 5.
- City crews escorted a dive team to the storage tanks this morning, and the tanks are in the process of being inspected.The dive team distributed additional chlorine pellets on the floor of the reservoir before exiting.
- The City remains interested to hear from water customers who have any reason to believe their garden irrigation system is connected without a permitted backflow preventer; there is no penalty for contacting the City. More information is at www.mercergov.org/backflow.
- Free water for our most vulnerable or needy populations is available at the Community Center during daylight hours only today; the City asks that only those of limited means make use of this supply. Grocery stores
- The Mercer Island Farmers Market will be open this Sunday, Oct 5, with Public Health oversight.
- Whole Foods Market has generously offered free use of their in-store filtered-water machines for MI residents at their South Lake Union and Bellevue outlets.
- Please see www.mercerislandschools.org for school district information.
Here's the list of open restaurants as of Saturday afternoon:
- Islander Restaurant
- Sahara Pizza
- Tully's at 7810 SE 27t St.
- Yuzen Japanese Restaurant
- Mo's Pizza
- Zaw Pizza
- Roberto's Restaurant
- Baskin Robbins
- Anise Thai Cuisine
- Pon Proem Thai Restaurant
- Starbucks at 8415 SE 68th St.
- Starbucks at 7620 SE 27 St.
- Yo Mercer
- Roanoke Inn