Brain eating amoeba found in water supply serving thousands near New Orleans
NEW ORLEANS, Louisiana – A deadly brain eating amoeba has been found in the water system serving thousands of people near New Orleans.
WGNO-TV reported that a water sample taken two weeks ago by the Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals tested positive for the potentially deadly amoeba called Naegleria fowleri.
The water system serves more than 12-thousand people living in St. John Parish.
While no one has reporting getting sick so far in the area, this is the same organism blamed for two deaths in Louisiana last year.
Health officials say the amoeba can only be harmful if ingested through the nose.
A chlorine burn through the water system will begin Thursday, followed by a sixty day wait to see if the amoeba has flushed out.