Revive I-5 returns: Northbound I-5 in Seattle closed this weekend

Boy sickened after drinking Dairy Queen shake contaminated with chemicals

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

THORNTON, Colo. — A Colorado mother says the vanilla milkshake her son got from a Dairy Queen was tainted by a cleaning solution.

She ended up taking the boy to the hospital after he said his tongue was burning.

Mother Lisa Chase said she is still pretty shaken up after getting more than the vanilla shake she ordered for her son.

“They could’ve cost people their lives with this,” Chase said.

Riley Chase had the shake and said, “something was like bubbling on my tongue.”

“You couldn’t even taste the ice cream in it, it tasted like you were drinking a very strong cleanser, then the burn started instantly,” the mother said.

The vanilla syrup container also contained floor cleaner and degreaser concentrate, a strong cleaner containing sodium hydroxide that when ingested can cause burns, vomiting and shock.

And while her son is already feeling better following a trip to the hospital, the mother is worried others may not have been as lucky.

“They need to be held accountable for what they’re doing,” Lisa Chase said.

CNN affiliate KMGH reported that the owner of the Thornton Dairy Queen says the incident was a terrible accident.

One employee was soaking the vanilla syrup container in the cleaner when another employee picked it up, thinking it was clean and filled it with the syrup.

The owner says he has contacted the health department and poison control — and both employees involved have been written up for not following proper procedure.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s


  • lece

    WTH were they soaking a food container in floor cleaner and degreaser concentrate in the first place?!?!? I have worked in a deli at a store so I had to take a food safety class…last I checked it was wash with soap, rinse, sanitize..the floor cleaner was for the mop bucket ONLY and degreaser was for the fryers ONLY!! Seriously DQ? A write up? They could’ve have seriously injured or worse killed this little boy…they deserve A LOT more than a slap on the hand…smh