9-year-old girl dies from brain-eating amoeba after swimming in lake

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

(Credit: NDN)

SPRING HILL, Kansas — A family is devastated and health officials are searching for answers after a 9-year-old Kansas girl died from a “brain-eating amoeba” after swimming over the Fourth of July weekend.

The obituary for Hally “Bug” Nicole Yust says she passed away Wednesday.

The Kansas Department of Health and Environment confirms that someone in Johnson County died from primary amoebic meningoencephalitis caused by Naegleria fowleri.

Naegleria fowleri is commonly referred to as the “brain-eating amoeba” or “brain-eating ameba” and is a free-living amoeba found in freshwater.

Officials have not determined exactly where the Spring Hill girl contracted the infection. She apparently had been swimming in several area lakes.

Initial laboratory examination identified the presence of Naegleria fowleri in a specimen from Hally. Additional laboratory testing by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is pending.

This is the second known case of PAM caused by Naegleria fowleri in Kansas. The first case occurred in 2011.

The investigation into Hally’s death indicates there were several potential fresh water exposures in Kansas, so the actual source of the infection cannot be determined.

Naegleri fowleri can be found in freshwater environments around the world, but infection causing PAM is extremely rare. From 1962 to 2013, there have been 132 cases reported in the United States, with 34 of those cases occurring from 2004 to 2013. Most cases have occurred in southern-tier states. The risk of infection is very low, but increases during the summer months when water temperatures rise and more people participate in water-related activities. The infection typically occurs when the amoeba enters the body through the nose while the person is swimming underwater or diving and travels to the brain.

“We are very saddened to learn of this unfortunate circumstance, and our thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends during this difficult time,” said Robert Moser, MD, KDHE secretary and state health officer in a news release. “It is important for the public to know that infections like these are extremely rare and there are precautions one can take to lower their risk – such as nose plugs.”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s


  • Jen

    First: My heart goes out to this family!! May God bless you with peace during this traumatic time!
    For the editor: What the heck is PAM?? How about a reference or a definition? This is the second occurrence, and the first occurrence was in 2011: NOT common, please define.