Fire erupts at panel business in Shelton

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

shelton fireSHELTON — A fire erupted at a Shelton wood-panel factory on Wednesday but luckily no was hurt.

It happened at Olympic Panel, which is on Front Street in downtown Shelton.

The blaze started in one of rooms in the center of the building around 5 p.m.

The plant makes wood panels, and one of the motors that dry and glue the panels together ignited into flames. Witnesses said at the height of the incident they saw a big fireball light up the sky.

“There was a plume of smoke coming out of one of the buildings and it all broke loose. We had three different fire district in here and ambulance aid units,” resident Shawn Greenhalgh said.

The Central Mason Fire Department says the sprinkler system helped a lot and they were able to extinguish the blaze quickly. The damage is estimated at less than $10,000.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.