Nearly one-third of Americans get news from Facebook, survey says

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SEATTLE — Keeping in touch with family and friends may be what comes to mind for most people when they think of social media, but for some it is also a source for news.

Teens Don’t Like FacebookA new survey from the Pew Research Center reported that 30 percent of American adults find out about news stories through Facebook. Of those adults, 78 percent happen to see those news stories only because they logged onto Facebook for other reasons. The remaining 22 percent consider Facebook as an important source for news.

According to the Pew Research Center, “the survey provides evidence that Facebook exposes some people to news who otherwise might not get it.”

One respondent told researchers that Facebook is a convenient, centralized place to get news, instead of logging onto several different websites. Researchers said that was especially true for adults ages 18 to 29, who account for about a third of Facebook news consumers.

More information about the Pew Research Center survey can be found here.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.