SEATTLE — The University of Washington will host a public memorial for Don James, the beloved and legendary former University of Washington football coach, at 3 p.m. on Sunday, Oct. 27 at the Alaska Airlines Arena.
The event will be public, and all are encouraged to attend.
• James family members will serve as honorary captains for the pre-game coin toss.
• The Husky Marching Band will perform “A Tribute to The Dawgfather,” including a memorial video and former UW football players, during halftime.
• Due to the late kickoff time, and also due to the halftime tribute, The Zone will be open ONLY during pre-game hours (5 p.m. to 8 p.m.)
• The UW players will wear helmet decals for the remainder of the 2013 season.
• UW coaches and other sideline staff will wear a similar patch.
• Due to the halftime activities, the annual Homecoming “Blanket Parade,” involving former UW letterwinners, will be moved to pre-game.
• Further remembrances may also be added once details are worked out during the course of the coming week.
UW Director of Athletics Scott Woodward said Monday that James “set the standard for excellence” in University of Washington coaches.